Under Iran’s sixth development plan, to achieve close to the global average of 2.6 beds per 1,000 people, an additional 115,000 new beds are required within five years, costing around $15 billion. This number includes 20 general mega hospitals with 500 and 1,000 beds capacity each (as outlined in the 2016 IRHS Iran Health Summit report).
Given the deficits in state funding, which was 90,000 billion rials ($2.6 billion) in the fiscal year 2016, the maximumnumber of hospital-beds the government can annually add is only 1,600 highlighting the important role to be played bydomestic private sector and foreign investors.
Gain insights into some of the latest hospital building projects in the Middle East:
- Ahvaz Super Hospital, Ahvaz
- Shiraz Unversity of Medical Sciences Hospital, Shiraz
- New Shahid Rajaie Cardiovascular, Medical and Research Center, Tehran
- Mazandaran Hospital, Mahforujak
- New Dr. Shariati Teaching Hospital, Tehran